The 11th ICPT 2019 was held from 10 to 12 July 2019 at the Seri Pacific Hotel Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This conference is a longstanding event that brings together road and airport pavement researchers, engineers, and governmental officials to promote pavement technological advancement worldwide. The organizers for the event are the Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) and the International ICPT Steering Committee.
There were about 200 participants from many different countries including Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan, India, Thailand, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, USA, Germany, Italy and Australia. The opening address were delivered by Prof. Ratnasamy Muniandy (co-chairs of ICPT 2019), Prof.Fwa Tien Fang (Chairman of the International ICPT Steering Committee) and YBhg. Prof. Datin Paduka Dato’ Dr. Aini Ideris (Vice Chancellor of UPM). The event was officiated by YBhg.Dato’ Ir. Dr. Meor Abdul Aziz bin Hj. Osman, Director General of Public Works Department, Malaysia.
Opening address by Prof. Fwa Tien Fang
Participants at the conference
There were 4 keynote lectures presented at the conference, namely,
- “The Role of Road Network in Economic Development”. By YBhg. Dato’ Ir. Hj. Che Noor Azeman Yusoff, Director of Road and Bridge Engineering Specialist, Public Works Department, Malaysia
- “Soil Mechanics, Water and Pavement”. By Prof. Frank Bullen, University of Southern Queensland, Australia
- “Asset Management of Road and Airfield Pavements”. By Prof. Kelvin C.P. Wang, Oklahoma State University, United States
- “Towards Improving Service Life of Asphalt Pavements” By Prof. Manfred Partl, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden.
A total of 77 papers were presented at the conference. The topics include:
- Pavement Design, Evaluation and Performance
- Pavement Construction
- Pavement Materials Characterization
- Sustainability in Pavement Engineering
- Pavement Preservation
- Pavement Maintenance and Rehabilitation Techniques
- Pavement Management Systems and Financing
- Pavement and Transportation Safety
- Law and Enforcement Related to Pavement Engineering
- Pavement Drainage and Erosion Control
- GIS Application for Pavement
- Quarry Material Assessment for Pavement
- Pavement Instrumentation
- Other pavement related topics
The Pavement Engineering Society, Singapore (PES) has supported the event by organizing a contingent of delegation with 10 council members, namely,
- Prof Fwa Tien Fang
- Dr Low Boon Hwee
- Asst Prof Ong Ghim Ping Raymond
- Mr Ricky Kwek
- Mr Teoh Sze Tean
- Mr. Tan Hua Soon
- Dr Tan Jun Yew
- Dr Vincent Guwe
- Dr Lee Yang Pin Kelvin
- Mr Sothinathan Kapilan
PES delegates at the conference
The delegation actively participated in the conference through paper presentations. The paper presented by one of our council members, Mr Teoh Sze Tean, entitled “The Effectiveness and Efficiency of Implementing Fast Set Concrete in Reparation and Reinstatement of Concrete Pavement” was awarded “Best Paper (Bronze)”.
Mr. Teoh Sze Tean, with his Best Paper (Bronze) certificate
At the closing ceremony, Prof. Fwa announced the launch of the new Asian Pavement Engineering Society (APES) and invited fellow pavement engineering professionals and researchers to join the society. The new council members consisted of members from various countries including Singapore, Malaysia, China, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and Thailand.
1st Council Members of APES – From Left: Dr. Kelvin Lee, Prof. Han Sen, Mr. Tan Hua Soon, Prof. Fwa Tien Fang, Prof. Ratnasamy Muniandy, Dr. Low Boon Hwee, Mr. Kwek Yeoh Seah, Dr. Tan Jun Yew, Mr Teoh Sze Tean, Prof. Saravut Jaritngam, Dr. Chu Longjia
The 11th ICPT 2019 was successfully organized. The next ICPT conference will be held in Sri Lanka and we hope to meet again in 2021.