The 27th SPT 2022 was held at Holiday Inn Singapore Orchard Centre on 18 Nov 2022. The symposium was jointly organised by the Pavement Engineering Society (Singapore) and the Center for Transportation Research of the National University of Singapore, and supported by the Asian Pavement Engineering Society. The sponsors for this year are Engineering Laboratory Electronics (S) Pte Ltd, ExxonMobil Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Ley Choon Construction and Engineering Pte Ltd and Shell Construction and Road.
The symposium was attended by 111 pavement professionals from both private and public sectors which include Housing Development Board (HDB), Land Transport Authority (LTA), Changi Airport Group (CAG), Defence Science & Technology Agency (DSTA) and Port of Singapore Authority (PSA). There were also overseas delegates from Australia, Canadian, China, Japan, Malaysia, Pakistan and Thailand. The symposium comprised three sessions with a total of 11 presentations.
Session 1 – Low Carbon Pavement
Moderated by Dr. Low Boon Hwee, Highway International Pte Ltd
- Jia Lu, Kraton Polymer Singapore Pte. Ltd. “Researches on Anti-aging Properties of Highly Polymer Modified Asphalt (HiMA)”.
- Vincent Guwe, Shell Construction and Road. “Sustainable Binder Solutions for Low Carbon Pavements”.
- Pavel Kriz, ExxonMobil Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd. “Bitumen Life Cycle Assessment – European & North American Experience”.
- Kelvin Lee & Mr. Teo Yong Boon, Samwoh Innovation Centre, Ms. Kate Lim, Contec Fiber AG, Mr. S. Kapilan and Mr. Seth Tan, Land Transport Authority. “Use of Synthetic Fibres in Concrete Pavement Construction to Enhance Productivity & Sustainability”.
Session 2 – Mix Design and Performance Tests of Asphalt Mix
Moderated by Dr. Kelvin Lee Yang Pin, Samwoh Innovation Centre
- Con Sinadinos, Pavetest Pty. Ltd. “Laboratory Tests for Predicting Performance of Asphalt Mixtures”.
- Assoc Prof. Peerapong Jitsangaim, Chiang Mai University. “Modified Marshall Mix Design for Asphalt Concrete Mixed with Recycled Plastic Based on Dry Mixing Processes: Development and Evaluation”.
- Lim Sin Mei, Dr. Hao Gengren and Assoc Prof. Ong Ghim Ping Raymond, National University of Singapore. “Superpave Design for Asphalt Concrete Mixes with Recycled Plastic Waste and its Recyclability Potential”.
- Qasim Khan and Assoc Prof. Ong Ghim Ping Raymond, National University of Singapore. “Full-Scale Fully-Instrumented Field Trial for Airport Pavements: Current Experience and Future Directions”.
Session 3 – New Technologies and Products
Moderated by Dr. John Yong, Land Transport Authority
- Du Yuchuan & Dr. Liu Chenglong, Tongji University, Shanghai, China. “A Lightweight Smart Inspection System for Large-scale Pavement Performance Measurement and Management
- Barry Leung, SmartMore International Pte. Ltd. “AI-Powered Vision Technology Aids Pavement Inspection”.
- Yoshikazu Ubukata, Nippon Koei Co. Ltd, Japan. “Phone-based Pavement Distress Identification at Traffic Speeds”.